I am planning on setting up PITR for my application. It does not see much traffic and it looks like the 16 MB log files switch about every 4 hours or so during business hours. I am also about to roll out functionality to store documents in a bytea column. This should make the logs roll faster.

I also have to ship them off site using a T1 so setting the time to automatically switch files will just waste bandwidth if they are still going to be 16 MB anyway.

*1. What is the effect of recompiling and reducing the default size of the WAL files?
2.  What is the minimum suggested size?
3. If I reduce the size how will this work if I try to save a document that is larger than the WAL size?

Any other suggestions would be most welcome.
*

Thank you for your time,

Jason Long
CEO and Chief Software Engineer