On Mon, 17 Nov 2008, Scott Marlowe wrote:

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 11:21 AM, John Zhang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi the list,

I have a performance problem and would like to any input on how to make it
perform as desired. In the DB, there are a few tables over 3 million records
in postgis. When I do some operation on the tables, e.g. CREATE INDEX, it
takes hours without results. I believe there must be something wrong within
the DB. However, I have not figured it out. Could anyone point me to the
right direction to tune and configured the database efficiently?

Assuming it's creating GIN indexes, and possibly even if not, index
creation is very dependent on having a large enough work_mem for it to
fit a large portion of the data it's working on in memory.  Try
cranking up work_mem before index creation.  Note that you don't have
to do this in postgresql.conf and reload, you can just do it in the
session you're in:

set work_mem=512000;
create index blah blah blah;

Doesn't he want to change maintenance_work_mem instead of work_mem for index creation?

--
Jeff Frost, Owner       <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Frost Consulting, LLC   http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/