The esteemed Scott Marlowe said:

> On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 7:42 AM, Gustavo Rosso <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I created this table:

<...>

> Because MySQL taught you bad habits?  You told the db to insert a 0,
> so it inserted a 0.

With respect, sir, let me point out that Informix usage says to insert a zero
to trigger a serial column, so don't be indicting Gustavo on MySQL use -- he
might be coming from a real database where usage is different.

Those of us who came to postgres from Informix-land made [perhaps] the same
mistakes. Not a bad *habit* unless you can prove to me that the spec says
otherwise. (Maybe you can -- the SQL formal definitions seem to be deliberately
opaque and often do not define _how_ a given behavior should be implemented).
Just a matter of indoctrination into the local ways of doing serials.

Greg Williamson
Senior DBA
DigitalGlobe

privileged information and must be protected in accordance with those
provisions. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by

(My corporate masters made me say this.)