Alvaro Herrera, 19.12.2008 13:49:
We use an in-memory lock manager for table- and page-level locks.  For
shared tuple locks, they are spilled to disk on an ad-hoc storage system
(pg_multixact) when there is more than one shared locker.  (Exclusive
locks and single locker shared locks are stored directly on the locked
tuple.)

Oracle on the other hand stores the lock information directly in the data block that is locked, thus the number of locks does not affect system performance (in terms of managing them).
I couldn't find any description on which strategy PG applies.

None of the above.  We're smarter than everyone else.

Thanks. This was the answer I was looking for :)

Thomas