On Dec 23, 2008, at 4:24 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

How can I programmatically detect which encoding a
PostgreSQL server I am trying to connect to sends back
messages -- before I connect (so client_encoding and
the pg_settings table are flat out).

I don't think there is a way because you can't get any information without authorizing first.

It is also unclear to me how things work in the other direction. When authenticating, what if the user or database name have non-ascii characters. Are they interpreted in the encoding of the server since the client has not established an encoding?

John DeSoi, Ph.D.