Thanks for elaborating on that Tom.  I understand what it means by extension
now.

The reason I looked into it in the first place was because someone at work
said that varchar was an alias for text, which didn't quite sound right.
And I had automatically used the data-type "text" for any varying text
fields since there is no performance/storage hit in PostgreSQL for such
data, unlike some other RBDMSs.  It's interesting to know of the
non-nativity of varchar, even if the practical differences are negligable.
:)

Thanks again

Thom