Alvaro Herrera wrote:
Duco Fijma wrote:

Please allow me to rephrase a question I asked on this list some time ago. Could somebody shine some light on what exactly influences the value of the %r parameter in the restore_command (as used in recovery.conf)? I'm using this in a hot-standby-configuration in combination with pg_standby and _sometimes_ my archive on shipped transaction logs grow really huge. The value of %r then never changes any more in subsequent calls of the restore_command, causing pg_standby to not delete any WAL segment anymore.

AFAIR %r is supposed to mean "the earliest segment that can safely be
removed"(*).  If there's a lot of backlog then perhaps the recovery
process has stopped replaying WAL segments for some reason.  Is there
anything unusual in the slave logs?

As far as I remember (the server is at the moment running OK) the new WAL segments were successfully processed. However, the %r kept the same value in the calls to restore_command so that the older segments are not thrown away by pg_restore. I will keep an eye on the slave logs, though, if its happens again.

(*) I *think* the technical definition is "segment previous to the one
on which the last restartpoint was set", or something similar.

I did a thorough search on this, but to my surprise, the documentation does not elaborate any further on exactly what a restart point is :-) Maybe there is somebody who could explain under what conditions a restart points is created (on the slave) and what could the creation of a restart point fail?

Duco