Craig Ringer, 24.08.2009 08:51:
You'll probably want to initdb, edit the postgresql.conf created by
initdb as desired, then start the postmaster manually using pg_ctl
(making sure to point pg_ctl at the data directory you created). It's
not hard.

Yep, I have done that as well (to quickly set up development databases). The
command would be:

pg_ctl -s -D "\Path\To\Datadir" start

If you want to automate it, just write a batch file. Remember to use
".cmd" not ".bat" so you run under the win32 cmd.exe script processor
not the ancient dos emulation monster command.com .

I don't think there is any difference between .cmd and .bat in any of the NT based Windows versions.
At least on my WinXP (and earlier with W2K) double-clicking a .bat file always
starts cmd.exe *not* command.com

Regards
Thomas