Rhys A.D. Stewart wrote:
Hey all,
I have the following table:  data(pnum text, distance float8, route text).
I would like to remove the outliers in distance, i.e. lets say i get
the avg dist of pnum for each route and the std deviation of the
distance what is the best way to identify the outliers?

i dunno. brute force, two passes, one to identify the MIN and MAX of the values, then another SELECT avg(value) .... WHERE (....) AND val != minval AND val != maxval.

you could probably do something with a standard deviation that is more accurate for large sets than just tossing the 2 outliers.