> authenication type is controlled via the pg_hba.conf file.
>
> frankly, I've never used the pg_ident file, it just seems like it would add
> more confusion to things.   But, it appears to use it you need a
> map=/mapname/ primitive in your pg_hba.conf

That's why I attempted to do.  I read the documentation, followed the
examples and configured the service in a way I thought would work.
When that didn't work I tried variation after variation. Nothing I did
seemed to work so I thought I would ask the mailing list.

From the responses I gather pg_ident is the wrong way to go. I guess
you are supposed to use su.  In my case (in this particular instance
anyway) su will probably work.  I guess that's good enough for now.