On 10 Nov 2009, at 3:48, akp geek wrote:

Dear all -

Is there way to create incremental backups in postgres. I am currently using 8.4.1 on solaris.. I am new to postgres. Can you please share your thoughts

Regards

IMHO The simplest solution is to just write a dump to the same file every now and then and have the backup software take care of storing only the differences. It does have a few drawbacks; it means you'll have a file about as large as your database on your filesystem just for making backups and there is a risk that your backup software kicks in before the dump has finished writing.

As others mentioned, you can also go with a PITR solution, which is probably prettier but is a bit harder to set up.

Alban Hertroys

--
Screwing up is the best way to attach something to the ceiling.

!DSPAM:737,4af948a011071608518950!