On 17/12/2009 7:21 AM, Christine Penner wrote:
Hi,

If we have clients that are going to buy new computers or upgrade
current ones, what we can recommend to them for optimal system
performance to run Postgres. These can be servers or desktop PCs. We can
have from 1-10 users in at a time. At this point all of our database's
are small but that can change of course.

I think the traditional answer to a question like that is "how long is a piece of string?"

General guides for PostgreSQL setups are:

  - Use a good quality battery backed RAID controller with disks in
    RAID 10 for performance. Cheaper systems can use a standalone
    disk, non-BBU raid controller, or software RAID 1, but **MUST**
    not have any write caching enabled or you *WILL* lose data.

  - More memory is better. Memory is cheap, so get lots.

  - For lots of concurrent queries, fast disks, more RAM and more CPU
    cores are more important than a fast CPU. For single complex
    queries a fast CPU (with fewer cores) may be important.

Make sure to tune your PostgreSQL install, too.

See the main documentation and wiki.postgresql.org for lots more advice and information.

--
Craig Ringer