On 1/13/2010 1:26 PM, Andy Colson wrote:
On 1/13/2010 12:20 PM, Alex - wrote:
Hi,
i have a PL/PERL RETURN SETOF function which processes a few 10k records.
The processing takes quite some time and in order to display progress
I use a return_next after every few thousand records.

However, the function returns all messages when it completes and exists
which is not really what i want. I also tried the elog NOTICE but then I
only get the messages back to the psql.

I am calling the function from a perl script and would like to catch
these progress messages.

Is there any way to solve my problem?

Thanks
Alex

In the doc's you'll see that return_next copies the record into an
in-memory table which is then returned once the storedproc is finished.

Not sure how raise works though.

-Andy

Humm.. further to that, you could probably catch the notices from perl with this:

http://search.cpan.org/dist/DBD-Pg/Pg.pm#pg_notifies

I'm assuming elog is like raise, and that they get sent immediately and not when the stored proc is finished.

-Andy