Carsten Kropf wrote:
Hi *,
I have the following problem:
I wanted to add a new type that supports modifiers (comparable to
numeric/varchar). I succeeded in adding the type modifier functions to my new
type. These methods are called and the modifier is set. However the modifiers
are not applied here. I don't know exactly how to get the modifiers to be
applied to my type. I looked into the source code of varchar/numeric and a
function called the same name as the type is added in there that gets called
with a value of the particular type and the typmod, respectively. But I don't
know, how to register this function properly in order to get called, when sth
is to be stored in the database.
column. How can I achieve this/What do I have to do to get it to work?

It's been a while but I still remember exactly the same question (frustration?) from some while ago (maybe it is something for the docs)

You need to add a cast from the type to itself, e.g.

-- typmod coercion
CREATE CAST (complex AS complex)
WITH FUNCTION complextypmod(complex,int4)
AS IMPLICIT;

Where complextypemod would be the typmod apply functions (int4 is the typmod)

Regards,
Yeb Havinga