You are correct Tom that I want to perform some portion of function as
postgres user and other portion as current user.

As per you suggestion I did refactor and separated the portion that needs to
be executed as superuser to another function. But the thing is PostGreSQL
recognize when I call this separated funtion from my original SECURITY
DEFINER function and gives the same error. :(

For your reference I did something like this:

1. Create Function foo1 .... (this is without SECURITY DEFINER where I am
using SET ROLE to current user).

2. Create Function foo2 with SECURITY DEFINER ...
         spi_exe_query("select foo1()"); ==> Here it throws the error.

I am helpless now. Could you tell me what could be done in this situation?

Thanks,
Dipti