2010/2/23 Bryan Montgomery <mo...@english.net>:
> Hello,
> I have a very simple function that I've created. I can compile it in linux
> without any problems. However, I've tried creating a dll for windows and am
> not having much luck.
>
> I first tried MSVC 2008 but after seeing some comments have tried compiling
> it in MSVC 2005 as well.

With 8.4 and earlier, only MSVC2005 is supported. If you're trying on
9.0, MSVC 2008 should be fine.

> In both I get several errors, whether I compile the code as c++ and use an
> extern C block, or compile the code as C.

They definitely should be C. I wouldn't recommend C++ with extern defines.

> I've tried creating new projects from both ides for dlls, as well as trying
> to create a project from an external source file.
>
> I'm using postgres version 8.3.5. I'm also including the port\win32_msvc
> directory as well as the port\win32 include directory.
>
> I was wondering if someone has a packaged 'solution' (makefile /def /.sln
> whatever :) that they can post / send? At this point I'm stumped with just
> trying to build a basic dll with the postgres headers.

I don't know of a packaged one, but your best bet is probably to
download the source and run the "mkvcbuild" script on it. Then look at
one of the projects generated for a contrib project - they are the
most likely to be close to what you want.

> warning C4005: '_WIN32_WINNT' : macro redefinition    c:\program
> files\postgresql\include\server\pg_config_os.h    7

Are you defining _WIN32_WINNT yourself somewhere? Or including
something else before the postgres headers that define it?

> error C2894: templates cannot be declared to have 'C' linkage    c:\program
> files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\platformsdk\include\wspiapi.h    44
> error C2894: templates cannot be declared to have 'C' linkage    c:\program
> files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\platformsdk\include\wspiapi.h    44
> error C2466: cannot allocate an array of constant size 0    c:\program
> files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\sys\utime.inl    44

These are all coming out of your SDK files. Can you build your
projects if you *don't* include the postgres headers at all? Perhaps
you are stuck with one of those platform sdk mismatches we've seen now
and then?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/