Please don't top-post.

Mike Christensen wrote:
Ah, I should probably upgrade to 8.4.  However, I'll probably just
wait for 9.0 to come out.  So it seems like citext will be about the
same as casting both sides to LOWER(), plus putting an index on the
lowercase version of the text.  I'd probably use that if it were out
of the box, but I'm trying to stay away from adding too many
dependencies..  I think I'll stick with my original approach of only
storing lowercase data in the DB, and perhaps put a CHECK constraint
on there to ensure no upper case letters sneak in.

If your db contains international text there are some corner cases where lower( upper( val )) != val or upper( lower( val )) != val. Or there should be, because that's what happens in certain languages.

For example, upper-case 'ß' should be 'SS' in German.  Lower-case 'SS' is 'ss'.

--
Lew