David Goodenough wrote on 20.06.2010 11:08:
I don't support anyone has written a "how to write database agnostic
code" guide?  That way its not a matter of porting, more a matter of
starting off right.

I don't believe in "database agnostic code".

In the end it basically means that the application will run equally slow on all
platforms.

I'm not necessarily talking about syntax features/differences (e.g.
hierarchical queries or other advanced features) but about behavioral features
that stem from the way the engine works, e.g. due to different locking
strategies or different optimizers.

Some engines don't like single large transactions, some don't like a lot of
small transactions.
Then think about syntactically identical statements that will behave
differently because each engine has different optimization strategies. Some
engines are better with complex joins and subqueries some are better with
several small queries. An index that might be used in one engine to speed up a
select might be totally ignored by another.

Thomas