Hi.

At first,I think you lack some settings.
(eg. pg_hba.conf,listen_addresses or restarting)
But you say "I can log in to postgresql without password prompt using the psql tool".

I can image some case,but we have to get some more information.

So I'd like you to try the following program.This program works fine on my environment. I believe this test can indicate which makes problem your environment or your program.

Can you try this?

void GiveUp()
{
fprintf(stderr, "Fatal error\n");
sqlprint();
}

main ()
{
  /* declare variables*/
  exec sql begin declare section;
  char v_datcollate[256];
  char id [] = "database";
  exec sql end declare section;
  exec sql whenever sqlerror do GiveUp();

  /*connection*/
  exec sql  connect to :id;

  exec sql set autocommit = on;
  exec sql begin work;
  /* declare cursor */
exec sql declare c_db cursor for select datcollate from pg_database where datname=:id;

  /*1.select test*/
  printf("1.Select test starts!! \n");
  exec sql open c_db;
  exec sql fetch in c_db into :v_datcollate;
  printf("datcollate = %s \n",v_datcollate);
  exec sql close c_db;
  exec sql disconnect;
  return(0);
}