Le 30/06/2010 2:42, Howard Rogers a écrit :
Something I do in Oracle: do a TRANSLATE on whatever string is being
supplied, converting matching characters to spaces, and measure the length.
If the length is greater than zero, your supplied string has something in it
you're not expecting, at which point you can intervene and warn your users
with some sort of error message. For example:

Hi Howard, sorry for the late reply.
Yes, that could work indeed.
I did not want to take the hassle of having to list all acceptable characters, but that might be the only way.

Thanks for the hint !

  ims=# select length(translate('MYSTRING','ABCDEFGHIJKLM',' '));
    ?column?
   ----------
           5
   (1 row)

It's '5' because I have no translation specified for 'Y', 'S' or 'T', 'R' or
'N'. If I add those in, then I get zero:

  ims=# select length(translate('MYSTRING','ABCDEFGHIJKLMYSTRN',' '));
    ?column?
           0
   (1 row)

So, in that second argument to the translate function, specify all the
characters you're prepared to accept, and test form input for the length
being zero after the translate function has applied.

Regards
HJR

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 12:52 AM, Arnaud Lesauvage