On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 5:45 PM, Bruce Momjian <br...@momjian.us> wrote:

> Sorry, I don't know.  I think the timelines are only there for safety if
> you have to fall back to the previous timeline, and to prevent timeline
> mixing.

Thanks for the helpful answers.

Two follow up questions which, if they can be answered, will save some time
before I go testing random theories.

Is there a way to bump a database up a timeline version without specifying
the exact timeline version of interest?  Apparently doing a rebase from a
database which has incremented its own timeline from doing a recovery does
at least this.

Is it possible to interpret the requested file and ignore the timeline
digits and provide a file from some other timeline?  Or is the timeline mean
more than just the file name?

Derrick