Bruce,

The applied patch has the same behavior on i686 Ubuntu 10.04.   It looks like
atol() is just a macro for strtol() in stdio.h.   I think you want strtoul()
instead of strtol()

when i change str2uint() to use strtoul() pg_upgrade completes without a
problem (I still haven't tested the upgrade database, but I expect that will be
just fine).

I think it's pretty uncommon for the OID to be that big which is why nobody
stumbled onto this.   This particular installation has pretty much been
reloading development databases non stop for the last year.  Also, people tend
to initdb a lot when testing and doing development which will keep resetting
the oid low.

Thanks for getting this one fixed

--brian