Thanks Josh,

On Oct 21, 2010, at 7:49 AM, Josh Kupershmidt wrote:

> 2010/10/21 Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz <gryz...@gmail.com>:
>> OLD.column_name
>> NEW.column_name ?
>
> I believe OP is asking specifically about statement-level triggers. As

Yup.

> the docs
> <http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/trigger-definition.html>
> say:
> | Statement-level triggers do not currently have any way to
> | examine the individual row(s) modified by the statement.

I don't know how I didn't see that in the docs when I was looking.  It must
have been sleepy morning eyes or lack of coffee.

> What I've done is to have a row-level trigger that populates a
> temporary table with "interesting" changes that need further
> processing, and then a statement-level trigger which does bulk-updates
> based on what's in that temporary table. This comes in quite handy
> when bulk-loading data, e.g. with COPY.

I'll look at doing something like you describe, although I wonder if the
overhead of doing a row trigger and then a mass update at the end with a
statement trigger will really be worth it for what I'm doing.   I might just
end up doing only a row trigger.

--brian