From: dave.gauth...@intel.com
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 09:14:01 -0700
Subject: [GENERAL] pg view of table columns needed for scripting

Hi:

Is there something like a pg_xxx view that I can use to get
the column names and data types of a table, similar to what I see with \d ?  I
need to run this is a script, so \d isn't viable.  I did a \df and looked
around, but nothing popped out.

Thanks in Advance !

Specify the table name where like..

SELECT table_schema,table_name,column_name,data_type

FROM information_schema.columns

WHERE table_name like 't%'

and column_name = 'name_of_column_here' ORDER BY table_name

;
 table_schema  |            table_name             |  column_name  |
data_type
schema           | table                                 | column_name   |
character varying

Chris