Hi,

Il 27/10/10 00:22, Hfe80 ha scritto:
The problem is that updates need more space becouse datas is not overwritten
in the same space...

As I said earlier, we need to know which PostgreSQL version you are using. PostgreSQL 8.3 introduced Heap Only Tuples (HOT) updates. Is it at least an 8.3 version (so 8.4 or 9.0)?

it seems that when there is huge update db grow to create space necessary
...700 Mb every time and than vacuum works but only since next update! and
db grow 700Mb more and 700 Mb more....

As John said earlier, you might want to look at the fillfactor attribute for a table and lower it (see http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-createtable.html - for 9.0) and make sure there is not a long transaction that keeps those rows alive.

Another good place where to look and find more information is the PostgreSQL catalog (pg_stat_user_tables table).

It seems a bug
It is definitely not a bug, but a desired behaviour deriving from the MVCC architecture.

Ciao,
Gabriele

--
 Gabriele Bartolini - 2ndQuadrant Italia