Ciao Dario,

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 09:14:36 +0000, Dario Beraldi <dario.bera...@ed.ac.uk> wrote:
the query run better the planner is not able (allowed?) to create such
index, use it, and drop it once the query is done. Why is it so?

Because it is not its responsibility. This is the simplest and most rational answer.

I would reply with some questions that hopefully will give you the answer. How can you define a 'good' query from a 'bad' query? Consider the case when an user launches a wrong query and the planner you propose starts creating an index. I believe that would be a mess.

Then ... how could you project this scenario in a concurrent context where multiple users launch queries that 'need' an index?

I suggest that you look at the documentation for more information. Otherwise, I strongly suggest that you read the chapter on the planner from Greg's book on High Performance (which you can find from here: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/books/)

Merry Christmas to you too!

Cheers,
Gabriele

--