On 12/23/2010 08:55 AM, gvim wrote:
What's the easiest way, in PostgreSQL 9.0, to keep a duplicate database
on my local machine updated at intervals from another on a remote
machine without having to reset permissions after a backup/restore. Also
which type of backup? Plain text or compressed? Data-only or complete
shema? Setup duplicate users or can I use a distinct set of users? I
would ideally like to have the same schemas setup with distinct users
then simply have a data-only backup from the remote server which I can
restore to the local machine without resetting privileges/permissions.

gvim

This is probably is going to need more information but in the meantime.

pg_dump switches -a data only -O no-owner(do not restore object ownership) -x no-privileges(do not dump GRANT/REVOKE commands)

I am not sure what you mean by update on the local machine. If you mean start from scratch when you run restore then the above switches will help. If you mean only restore differences between the local and remote machines then you will need to go down a different path

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.kla...@gmail.com