> On Jan 5, 2011, at 8:05 AM, Bill Moran wrote:
>
> > Beyond that, the namespace size for a UUID is so incomprehensibly huge
> > that the chance of two randomly generated UUIDs having the same value
> > is incomprehensibly unlikely
>
> Yes, as in: it is *far* more likely that all of your team members and all of
> your client contacts will be simultaneously struck by lightning and killed in
> their sleep, and it is *far* more likely that all life on earth will be wiped
> out by an asteroid impact, and it is *far* more likely that the solar system
> orbits are not actually stable and earth will fly off into space... If you're
> worried about UUID collisions, then either your priorities are completely
> wrong, or you live in a bomb shelter--that's not sarcasm by the way, it's
> simply true, the chance of a collision is so vanishingly small that it is
> dwarfed by all sorts of risks that we all ignore because the chances are so
> low, including the chance that all drives in all your RAIDs across all your
> replicas will simultaneously fail on the same day that fires start in all the
> locations where your tapes are stored and all the sprinkler systems fail...
> (By "far" more likely, I mean many many many orders of magnitude...)

That statement demonstrates a lack of investigation and/or consideration
of the circumstances.

I can't find my math or I'd reproduce it here, but consider this:

If you have 50 devices, each generating 100 UUIDs per hour, and you'll
keep records for 1 year, then your argument above is probably accurate.

However, if there are 5000 devices generating 100 UUIDs per hour, and you'll
be keeping those records for 10+ years, the chances of collisions near
the end of that 10 year span get high enough to actually make developers
nervous.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com