Thanks. pg_trgm looks interesting, but after installing the pg_trgm.sql, I
get error messages when following the documentation.

sggeeorg=> create index test_idx on test using gist(columnname
gist_trgm_ops);
ERROR:  operator class "gist_trgm_ops" does not exist for access method
"gist"
STATEMENT:  create index test_idx on test using