Hi there.

During the weekend I've worked for hours on recovering table bloat. Now I was
hoping that after the tables are properly trimmed, then after the next delete
operation which created dead tuples, autovacuum will go into effect and do its
job properly, and prevent the situation from recurring.

Indeed autovacuum started working on some of the tables. At least one of these
tables was one that I have trimmed up using CLUSTER. So I was watching that
autovacuum process carefully. And then suddenly it was gone, after working for
20-odd hours. And I had even more dead tuples in pg_stat_user_tables for that
table than before.

Looking at the log, I get this:

2011-02-06 15:21:42 IST ERROR:  canceling autovacuum task
2011-02-06 15:21:42 IST CONTEXT:  automatic vacuum of table
"reports.alerts.smsq__archive"

Why?

Postgres version is 8.3.11

Thank you,