2011/2/7 Carlos Mennens <carlos.menn...@gmail.com>

> On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 5:08 PM, Dmitriy Igrishin <dmit...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > These all (SUPERUSER, CREATEDB, SUPERUSER) are role attributes.
> > By performing ALTER ROLE postgres NOSUPERUSER it is possible to
> > turn role with a superuser status into a role that just can create
> databases
> > and manage roles (admin, but without superuser privileges).
>
> So is it very bad to alter ANY of the default role attributes granted
> to the 'postgres' user? I don't know if removing role attributes from
> him will have negative consequences to features / functional tasks of
> the PostgreSQL server / client application(s).

Nothing special in 'postgres' user from the POV of DBMS. It is just a user
with superuser attribute created when you perform initdb(1).
But please note, some OS distributives uses 'postgres' for non-interactive
access to all databases for automatic maintenance (custom daily cronjobs,
replication, and similar tasks) -- please see you pg_hba.conf file where
entry for 'postgres' user usually resides.