On 02/07/2011 06:38 AM, Thom Brown wrote:
On 7 February 2011 09:04, Itagaki Takahiro<itagaki.takah...@gmail.com>  wrote:
On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 21:32, Thom Brown<t...@linux.com>  wrote:
The issue is that generate_series will not return if the series hits
either the upper or lower boundary during increment, or goes beyond
it.  The attached patch fixes this behaviour, but should probably be
done a better way.  The first 3 examples above will not return.
There are same bug in int8 and timestamp[tz] versions.
We also need fix for them.
=# SELECT x FROM generate_series(9223372036854775807::int8,
9223372036854775807::int8) AS a(x);
Yes, of course, int8 functions are separate.  I attach an updated
patch, although I still think there's a better way of doing this.

=# SELECT x FROM generate_series('infinity'::timestamp, 'infinity', '1
sec') AS a(x);
=# SELECT x FROM generate_series('infinity'::timestamptz, 'infinity',
'1 sec') AS a(x);
I'm not sure how this should be handled.  Should there just be a check
for either kind of infinity and return an error if that's the case?  I
didn't find anything wrong with using timestamp boundaries:

postgres=# SELECT x FROM generate_series('1 Jan 4713 BC
00:00:00'::timestamp, '1 Jan 4713 BC 00:00:05'::timestamp, '1 sec') AS
a(x);
------------------------
  4713-01-01 00:00:00 BC
  4713-01-01 00:00:01 BC
  4713-01-01 00:00:02 BC
  4713-01-01 00:00:03 BC
  4713-01-01 00:00:04 BC
  4713-01-01 00:00:05 BC
(6 rows)

Although whether this demonstrates a true timestamp boundary, I'm not sure.

postgres=# SELECT x FROM generate_series(1, 9,-1) AS a(x);
postgres=# SELECT x FROM generate_series(1, 9,3) AS a(x);
They work as expected in 9.1dev.
Those 2 were to demonstrate that the changes don't affect existing
functionality.  My previous patch proposal (v2) caused these to return
unexpected output.

Isn't this all really a bug fix that should be backpatched, rather than a commitfest item?

cheers

andrew