On 3/3/2011 11:00 AM, Derrick Rice wrote:
Hey folks,

I was looking through the contrib modules with 8.4 and hoping to find
something that satisfies my itch.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/pgstatstatements.html comes
the closest.

I'm inheriting a database which has mostly unknown usage patterns, and
would like to figure them out so that I can allocate tablespaces and set
autovacuum settings appropriately.  To do this, it seems I need to know
(at least) the number of rows read, rows updated, rows deleted, and rows
inserted for each table (over time, or until reset).

I suppose things like disk usage and CPU usage would be interesting as
well, but I'm somewhat less concerned with those.  For one, CPU usage
can't be tied to a table as easily and is more about query optimization
than PostgreSQL configuration (excluding cost coefficients and memory
size settings).  For the other, disk usage can be mostly inferred from
the row size and and number of operations per table (this does exclude
seq. scans and heavy heavy index use, though).  I realize those
statements are fuzzy and short-sighted, but I'm trying to get "good
enough" information, not optimize a space shuttle.

There's no way I'm the first person to feel the need for this.  Is there
a doc or wiki which gives some recommendations?  I'd like to avoid
parsing logs or installing triggers.  I'd also like to avoid heavy
statement-level tracking like the above mentioned contrib does (sounds
expensive, and I'm not sure the users have parameterized SQL).

Thanks,

Derrick

There are stat tables you can look at:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/monitoring-stats.html