On 07/25/2011 11:06 AM, Frank Lanitz wrote:

Am 22.07.2011 21:15, schrieb Karl Nack:
to move as much business/transactional logic as
possible into the database, so that client applications become little
more than moving data into and out of the database using a well-defined
API, most commonly (but not necessarily) through the use of stored
procedures.

Beside the points already mentioned, doing this will might cause bottle necks if you have complicated transactions as the DB-cluster might can not be scaled as good as maybe a farm of application server could be done.

Cheers,
Frank

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that to handle business logic processing, I may require X servers. Only a percentage of that traffic actually requires database processing. if I use a cluster of application servers against a single database, it will scale better then if I have to cluster my database, which brings in all sorts of messy master-master replication issues.

Is this accurate?

Sim