On 02/27/2012 06:19 AM, Chris Travers wrote:

For the sorts of applications I write, the costs of going with something like
VoltDB would easily eclipse the benefits in every single deployment, and
moreover this is not due to questions of the maturity of the technology but
rather of fundamental design choices.  There are a lot really, really cool
things VoltDB would be good at doing (from state handling of MMORGS to handling
of huge numbers of inputs from a million sensors in real time, and providing
reporting data on these).

But those are niche markets.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Yeah, same with me.  I use PG as both OLTP and data warehouse.  My problems are
not facebook problems, and PG transaction rate is much faster than I need (now
or in the foreseeable future).

I could not really use voltdb because I'd like to have a very long history (5
gig and counting).  In his little triangle I sit pretty squarely in the middle.
 I want some OLTP and some warehouse, and PG is fast enough at both.

I just watched the video about CERN (also in the usenix list alonside
Stonebreakers), and they describe their DB usage, where they collect 4 billion
rows of history, a day, on the heat and alignment of magnets.  VoltDB wont work
there either. (As Mike himself says, its not for warehousing, don't use it as
such)

I'm just saying these are different tools for different jobs.  Your in memory
tables wont help me, I dont really want them.  I'd rather have core development
time on other things.

Its just like different programming languages... use the right tool for the
right job.

-Andy