On 03/08/2012 01:40 PM, Stefan Keller wrote:
Hi

I do have a student who is interested in participating at the Google
Summer of Code (GSoC) 2012
Now I have the "burden" to look for a cool project... Any ideas?

-Stefan

How about one of:

1) on disk page level compression (maybe with LZF or snappy) (maybe not page
level, any level really)

I know toast compresses, but I believe its only one row.  page level would
compress better because there is more data, and it would also decrease the
amount of IO, so it might speed up disk access.

2) better partitioning support.  Something much more automatic.

3) take a nice big table, have it inserted/updated a few times a second.  Then make
"select * from bigtable where indexed_field = 'somevalue'; work 10 times faster
than it does today.

I think there is also a wish list on the wiki somewhere.

-Andy