On 03/20/2012 06:16 PM, Jim Green wrote:

It looks like alternatives are kind of complex to me, right now my
approach(perl dbi and prepared insert) would take about 8/9 mins to
insert  a day's data.  I think I'll probably just stick with it and
wait.

the autovacuum processes does a lot of io and make my pc unusable
while I do the data inserts.. and I tested autovacuum off with not
much success because of they are launched due to the transaction id
wrap around issue.

Something sounds wrong, here. XID wraps around somewhere around 4-billion transactions which is a substantial multiple of the entire number of records you are trying to insert. Do you have any unusual vacuum settings?

As mentioned by others and myself, anything that batches lots of inserts together into a single transaction instead of each record being its own transaction will help whether this is COPY or BEGIN, INSERT......, COMMIT.

Cheers,
Steve