envdb=# \d astgtm2_n60e073;
Table "public.astgtm2_n60e073"
 Column |  Type   | Modifiers
--------+---------+-----------
 lat    | real    |
 lon    | real    |
 alt    | integer |
    "q3c_astgtm2_n60e073_idx" btree (q3c_ang2ipix(lon, lat)) CLUSTER

On 8/20/2012 2:10 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
On 08/20/12 10:53 AM, elliott wrote:
Hi,

I am using PostgreSQL 9.1 and loading very large tables ( 13 million rows each ). The flat file size is only 25M. However, the equivalent database table is 548MB. This is without any indexes applied and auto vacuum turned on. I have read that the bloat can be around 5 times greater for tables than flat files so over 20 times seems quite excessive.

Any ideas on how to go about decreasing this bloat or is this not unexpected for such large tables?

what do the fields of this table look like (output from \d tablename would be useful)