Hi Dinesh,

Managed to get this up and running...thanks!!

Regards

Hugh

From: dinesh kumar [mailto:dineshkuma...@gmail.com]
Sent: 17 August 2012 13:15
To: Loughrey, Hugh
Cc: Postgres General
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Check PostgreSQL status using MS-DOS bat file?

Hi ,

Dave's instructions are helpful for finding the status of the server.. However,
I do have the below the script which is nothing but PgPing in windows ... I
hope it helps you in the implementation ..

@ECHO OFF

set PSQL="C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.1\bin"

set DBNAME="template1"

set USER="postgres"

set PORT="5432"

set RES="Not Pinging"

%PSQL%\psql -Atq -c "SELECT 'ping'" -p %PORT% -U %USER% %DBNAME% > _Res.txt

set /p RES=<_Res.txt

echo %RES%

IF %RES% EQU ping (echo "No need to raise any exception ") else (echo
"PostgreSQL seems not pinging.. Need to raise an exception")

Best Regards,
Dinesh
manojadinesh.blogspot.com<http://manojadinesh.blogspot.com>

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Dave Page
<dp...@pgadmin.org<mailto:dp...@pgadmin.org>> wrote:
[Please keep the mailing list CC'd]

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 11:52 AM, Loughrey, Hugh
<hugh.lough...@hoopleltd.co.uk<mailto:hugh.lough...@hoopleltd.co.uk>> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> Thanks for the message below. The script you forwarded looks to be for an
> instance in which the DB is running of a windows box, apologies I should have
> mentioned, we currently run PostgreSQL on a Linux box. Does this mean calling
> pg_ctl is not an option? Or do we need to install additional drivers?

pg_ctl only checks the status of an instance running on the local
machine. To check on a remote linux box from windows using pg_ctl,
you'd have to run pg_ctl on the linux box, probably over SSH (look for
Putty for an SSH client for Windows).

An easier option might be to run a psql command on the remote
database. Just run something like "SELECT 1" and check you actually
get a 1 back, and not a connection error.