On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 6:40 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvhe...@2ndquadrant.com>wrote:

> Tianyin Xu wrote:
> > Ok, I agree that "2147483647" is not a reasonable setting. But what's
> the
> > definition of "reasonable"? I just want to study the impact of the
> setting
> > so I test the big number first.
>
> Please don't top-post.
>
> Those values are not wrong.  They just don't match what our current
> testing framework expects.  Whether the generated plans are sensible or
> not is entirely another question; the queries should still return the
> same resultsets.  Ordering of tuples within the resultset shouldn't
> matter, but the test framework is not smart enough to compare them
> that way.

Thanks, Alvaro!

I see your point. Yes, I'll try to understand the test cases to be able to
judge the results by myself. What I was worried about was some settings
might break the correctness and causes unexpected problem in the product
run. So I choose to first test a bit by myself instead of directly applying
what I want. You know, there's a gap between developers assumptions and
users intentions.

> > When you give users the flexibility of configurations, you cannot say all
> > the values mismatching with your expectations are not allowed. In fact
> the
> > system allowed such settings.
>
> Sure.
>
> --