Hi,

I need to evaluate an expression that I have stored in a table,  and not sure
how to force evaluation of a column value.

Some background.  This is a generic testing application that we're using to
test source to target ETL's.
The specifics of the test expression depend on the actual tables involved.
Typicallly it's been  table_a.col_a = table_b.col_b   but now they want to use
inequality or other operators.
The tester's define the test criteria in a table,  then we use that criteria to
actually score the runtime results.

In my design I have 3 tables.
Test - stores the test definition
Testrun - stores the actual sql for a specific execution of a test
Testscore - stores the actual values of the source and target values.   The
scores are stored in different rows, with a common name to allow them to be
matched in the query.

The pass/fail query looks something like this

Update  testscore
Set metricstatus = case when table_a.col_a = table_b.col_b    then 'PASS'
else 'FAIL' end
..
Where testrunid=x

I want to replace the table_a.col_a = table_b.col_b   with the expression
stored in the test table and evaluate.

I'm thinking - it's dynamic sql, so I need to build the statement and then
evaluate using a function.

Anybody have any comments?

Thanks

Doug Little

Sr. Data Warehouse Architect | Business Intelligence Architecture | Orbitz
Worldwide
500 W. Madison, Suite 1000  Chicago IL 60661| Office 312.260.2588 | Fax
312.894.5164 | Cell 847-997-5741
douglas.lit...@orbitz.com<mailto:douglas.lit...@orbitz.com>
 [cid:image001.jpg@01CDDD06.E43D5760]   orbitz.com<http://www.orbitz.com/> |
ebookers.com<http://www.ebookers.com/> |