I got it fixed.

What I did was

$ psql -c "SELECT pg_start_backup('label', true)"
$ rsync -a ${PGDATA}/ standby:/srv/pgsql/standby/ --exclude postmaster.pid
$ psql -c "SELECT pg_stop_backup()"

It took a while a to catch up the data.

One question I have , are there any scripts to monitor the status of
the replciation. so that I can be little proactive

Regards