On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 8:47 AM, Steve Crawford <
scrawf...@pinpointresearch.com> wrote:

> On 03/12/2013 09:05 PM, Perry Smith wrote:
>
>> To all who replied:
>>
>> Thank you. ...
>>

>> I had not seriously considered pg_dump / pg_restore because I assumed it
>> would be fairly slow but I will experiment with pg_restore and template
>> techniques this weekend and see which ones prove viable.
>>

> Another possibility a bit outside my area of expertise but what about a VM
> image configured to your needs that you just spin up as needed then discard
> when done (i.e. always spinning up the same starting image)?

I'd guess the OP is running hundreds of tests, where the data needs to be
reverted/reset after each test, and each individual test might run in, say,
0.1 seconds. This is a really common technique when testing web apps. I
don't think you'd want to start a VM for each of these tests, especially
when the tests are small and specific.