On 04/09/2013 02:29 PM, Giovanni Martina wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade our database server from postgresql 32-bit 8.2.4
running on Windows Server 2008 to postgresql 64-bit 9.2.4 on ubuntu
server 12.04.02 LTS.

I have dumped one of our databases from our windows server and restored
it on the postgres server running on ubuntu in order to test for
incompatibilities. But the thing I am noticing playing with pgAdmin is
that queries are being performed much more slowly on the linux server
compared to the old windows 2k8 server, even with linux running on a ssd
with more ram, faster cpu etc.

I've tried running ANALYZE, VACUUM and combinations of these via pgAdmin
on the linux database but performing queries consistently take 10x the
amount of time that they take on the windows server so I'm obviously
missing something here.

The dump is a simple pg_dump -F c -f data.backup, then using pg_restore
to restore in an empty database created with template0. What could be
causing the new database to perform so abysmal?

connect with psql to your new database and run "reindex database <your db name>;"