On 18/06/13 18:31, bhanu udaya wrote:
Hello,
Greetings.

My PostgresSQL (9.2) is crashing after certain load tests. Currently,
postgressql is crashing when simulatenously 800 to 1000 threads are run
on a 10 million records schema. Not sure, if we have to tweak some more
parameters of postgres. Currently, the postgressql is configured as
below on a 7GB Ram on an Intel Xeon CPU E5507 2.27 GZ. Is this postgres
limitation to support only 800 threads or any other configuration
required. Please look at the log as below with errors. Please reply

max_connections 5000
shared_buffers  2024 MB
synchronous_commit      off
wal_buffers     100 MB
wal_writer_delays       1000ms
checkpoint_segments     512
checkpoint_timeout      5 min
checkpoint_completion_target    0.5
checkpoint_warning      30s
work_memory     1G
effective_cache_size    5 GB

Just to point out, your memory settings are set to allow *at least*

 shared-buffers 2GB + (5000 * 1GB) = 5TB+

You don't have that much memory. You probably don't have that much disk. This is never going to work.

As has been said, there's no way you can do useful work simultaneously with 1000 threads if you only have 4 cores - use a connection pooler. You'll also need to reduce work_mem to 1MB or so.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd