On 06/17/2013 04:00 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/Ubuntu-12-04-3-2-Kernel-Bad-for-PostgreSQL-Performance-td5735284.html

tl;dr for that thread seems to be a driver problem (fusionIO?), I'm
unsure if Ubuntu specific or in the upstream kernel.

That instance wasn't a driver problem. The problem was that the FusionIO driver uses kernel threads to perform IO, and it seems that several of the 3.x kernels have issues with task migration using the new CFS CPU scheduler which replaced the O(1) one.

The next thread related to this that fixed our particular case was this one:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/50e4aab1.9040...@optionshouse.com

--
Shaun Thomas
312-676-8870