Arvind Singh wrote on 18.07.2013 12:22:
I want to install postgresql for use as the backend to a Windows application.

This seems to be no problem if postgresql is NOT already installed on the
system. which is not in this case.

postgresql is already installed and  unless the command line parameters contain
the superpassword etc of the
existing installation , the install fails. As I will likely never know the
superpassword
or other account details of any pre-existing postgresql instances and the
machine owners may not either.

How to then proceed and install a new  instance that can  be used by our
application.

It's unclear to me if you want to re-use the existing installation and create a new
cluser (aka "data directory" by running initdb
or if you want to install a completely new version along the original one (with
it's own server and data directory)

If you want to install a completely new instance, just put it into a different
directory, and given the service a different name.

Newer Postgres versions don't need a dedicated Windows user account any more.

I usually don't use the installer any more, but I simply unzip the binary
distribution, then run initdb with a directory of my choice (making sure the
privileges are correctly setup) and then use pg_ctl to register the service.
The only thing you need to make sure is to change the port in postgresql.conf
before starting the service.

Something like this (batch file commands):

 echo superuserpassword> pwfile.txt
 unzip postgresql-9.2.4-1-windows-binaries.zip -d c:\MyApp\Postgres
 mkdir c:\MyApp\Data
 c:\MyApp\Postgres\bin\initdb -D c:\MyApp\Data -U postgres -pwfile=pwfile.txt
-E UTF8 -A md5
 c:\MyApp\Postgres\bin\pg_ctl register -N my-app-postgres -S auto

Again: you have to make sure that the data directory has all the right
privileges!