Just a note on this.

>  Yes, I would drop the "template0" call and I think UTF8 is default now
> anyway.
>
> Or maybe add them to template0 but that would be unusual I think

Don't add to template0.  I think this would mess up backups.

As for whether UTF-8 is the default, it is in many cases, but I remember
struggling with the fact that a few Linux distros still default to
SQL-ASCII.  Ultimately this is something of a packaging issue and the
default may be set at the package level.

--
Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Efficito:  Hosted Accounting and ERP.  Robust and Flexible.  No vendor
lock-in.
http://www.efficito.com/learn_more.shtml