On 15 Nov 2013, at 8:04 pm, Chris Travers <chris.trav...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In general, if you don't know you need composite types, you don't want them.
> You have basically three options and the way you are doing it is the most
> typical solution to the problem

The current way is much easier since I discovered the “JOIN ... USING(..)”
syntax and I’m tempted to try natural joins.

> Having experience with table inheritance and composite types in tuples, I
> will say the former has fewer sharp corners than the latter.
>
> Where composite types really work well is where you want to add functions
> which take the type as input.  In essence you can develop some very
> sophisticated models with them, but you probably would not use them for
> storage unless you have other considerations in mind.

Thanks for that, I’ve done some reading on inheritance and it looks like I can
create an empty parent table that acts like a column definition template. This
also automatically creates a type that can be used in functions which sounds
like what I’m after. There are also scenarios where “product” is a combination
of “level" and “id” (where “level” can be things like brand/category/sku) and
I’d like to use the same calculations regardless of where it sits in the
hierarchy.

Cheers,

Tony