On 12/31/2013 01:09 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
On 12/31/2013 12:45 PM, peterlen wrote:
PostgreSQL has a geometric data type of "point".  The format is listed
as (x,
y) but I am not sure if the X is to represent latitude or longitude.
I have
seen different systems that us X for either.  Typically, coordinates
should
be read as lat/long but I have seen the opposite as well.  An example
in the
help docs listed a point coordinate as x= longitude and y=latitude.  Can
someone clarify what the postgres standard is?  What this will come
down to
is how built-in geospatial functions will interpret the point value.

point is just x,y, it doesn't understand the spherical lat/long math
(unless you install PostGIS and use its Geometry types which are fully
aware of spherical coords), that said, Latitude is generally used as X
(left/right, aka east/west), while Longitude is Y (up/down aka north/south)

I thought it was the other way around?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.kla...@gmail.com